With a heavy heart, I wanted to let you know that the 2021 CAJPA Annual Conference scheduled in Lake Tahoe in September will not be held. CAJPA’s Board of Directors made this very difficult decision when they realized as risk managers, there are just too many issues to navigate to ensure the health and safety of our attendees, exhibitors, sponsors and speakers. You all mean the world to this organization. We were “full steam ahead” on hosting the in-person event but with the spike in COVID-19 cases and the Delta Variant, wildfires ravaging Northern California, air quality concerns and currently, the closure of Highway 50 due to the wildfires which is the primary route to the conference, we had too many obstacles to overcome to safely host an in-person event. Like all of you, the CAJPA leadership and staff, were looking forward to again being able to gather at the annual conference to reconnect with each other after a long separation. But sometimes, wishes aren’t reality. CAJPA’s primary focus was being sure everyone at our conference was safe. CAJPA is an exceptional organization of close-knit professionals and partners who for decades have valued what the CAJPA annual conference has to offer; our time to gather, exchange information, learn and network. We will get back there again, but unfortunately not in 2021 as we all hoped.
Each of you who had registered for the conference are likely as disappointed as we are that we won’t be together in Lake Tahoe in September. That said, if any CAJPA participant was negatively impacted by attending the conference it would be devastating to the organization. The value of getting together doesn’t mitigate the risk we would be taking to move forward. Our profession is focused on forecasting and evaluating risks and identifying ways to avoid or minimize impact. CAJPA’s leadership did just that with the information they had in front of them and their deep concern for all of those associated with the conference.
We had a strong program, great speakers, a lovely venue and an opportunity to see one another after such a long absence. We had taken all of the necessary precautions for attendee safety by adjusting the format, instituting COVID-19 safety measures, setting up a touchless experience but it just isn’t enough with the new challenges in front of us. We are sorry for not offering our attendees this opportunity but have no hesitations that this is the right decision.
So, here’s to 2022 and us being together in Lake Tahoe. Please know CAJPA will be looking at additional opportunities to connect with members over the next year. We are committed to engaging with our members and offering other professional development and networking opportunities outside of the annual conference.
We will get through these new challenges and come out an even stronger organization that serves California’s risk sharing pools today and tomorrow. We will be creative and nimble together.
Additional details will follow on the hotel room cancelations, registration refunds, etc. We greatly appreciate your patience and will be sharing how attendees need to respond within the next few days. Our commitment is to be proactive in these directions so each of you don’t stress. There is enough of that in our lives already.
Thank you for your patience, understanding and commitment to CAJPA. We are only as strong as our members and partners.
Be safe. Be healthy.
We have been notified that the city of South Lake Tahoe is under evacuation orders due to the wildfires. It is likely there will be no one available at this time at the hotels to process cancellations. Cancellations can occur but will be handled after the wildfires are contained and people can safely get back to work. CAJPA will be refunding all registrations so no need to call to cancel registrations.
Thank you for your patience and keep the firefighters and residents in your thoughts.