Slips, Trips & Falls – Fact or Friction?
One of the oldest insurance scams is the slip and fall accident which has been used by individuals and organized groups for decades to rip off businesses and insurance carriers. Slip and falls are the second costliest bodily injury claim – second only to auto collisions. Fraudulent slip and fall claims rose 25% over the last five years. In lieu of video footage capturing the fraudulent act, evaluating the merit of a slip and fall claim can be a daunting task, and the fraudsters are fully aware of this. A panel of experts will discuss the most effective methods of handling suspected fraudulent slip/trip and fall accidents and share amazing video clips.
At the completion of this session, attendees will be able to:
- Identify suspected fraudulent slip/trip and fall claims through various red flags, and learn effective investigative techniques
- Recognize the scientific approach to investigating suspected fraudulent slip/trip and fall claims, with a live coefficient of friction forensics demonstration;
- Learn about effective defense strategies in litigating suspected fraudulent slip/trip and fall cases, with examples of actual suspected fraudulent slip/trip and fall cases caught on video, and how to utilize evidence in court;
- Richard Harer, Vice President, Specialized Investigations, Inc.
- William King, President/CEO, Impact General, Inc.,
- John Madsen, Attorney, Liebman, Quigley & Sheppard
Moderator: Richard Harer, Vice President, Specialized Investigations, Inc.
Interest areas: Property & Liability, Workers’ Compensation